Monday, November 5, 2012

Craziness

So, I had a long post all typed up and it has become lost. Good times!

Here is an update on our lives.  On July 20, 2012, Ryker and I were having a seemly normal summer day.  Not much had been planned or needed to get done, we were just hanging out, taking life as it came.  That afternoon, I received a call from DCFS, saying they had a sibling group that needed placement.  They thought that they would be able to find a kinship (family) placement, but wanted a foster family ready as a backup. I said yes, thinking that the kids would go to a family member.  About 30 minutes later, I was called by the case worker, and was told that they would need to place the kids with us and that DCFS would call us to know when and where we were to meet them.  I called Travis and he hurried home.  We soon got the call and drop Ryker off with the neighbor and then nervously drove across town.
Due to the situation, we met up at the hospital, where Baby Girl was being treated.  We arrived just as the birthparent was being told that the kids were being removed.  We were ushered into a corner, where we could not be seen.  The birthparent was soon escorted from the hospital and then we were able to step into the room and meet Baby Girl and Little Buddy.  I snuggled Baby Girl in my arms and she soon fell asleep. Travis spent some time with Little Buddy while I was given instruction from the hospital staff on the care that Baby Girl would need.
We were discharged after being there for a couple of hours and were soon on our way home.  When we arrived, Travis ran to Walmart to get some things for the kids.  Little Buddy only had the clothes on his back and Baby Girl had a couple of diapers the hospital sent with us and a hospital gown that they put her in to get her home.
Ryker soon came home and met the kids for the first time.  He was very excited to have a new brother and sister.  For the most part, he really enjoys being the big brother, but I know that sometimes it is very difficult to have to share Mom and Dad.
So, how is life with 3 little ones? Crazy, is the best way to describe it.  I feel like I am constantly running.  There is never a dull moment.  And yes, I am still working full time.  I am exhausted, but it is so worth it.  My favorite part of the day is when I get to go pick up the kids.  It's crazy how much I miss them, even though we've only been apart a few hours.  We hopeful that this will be my last year teaching and I will be able to come home, but well see.
As far as whether or not we will get to adopt the kids, we have no idea.  It is still pretty early in the case, but we hope to know more in the coming months.  We would like nothing more then to make these kiddos a permanent part of our forever family.
In other news, Ryker started kindergarten this fall.  He is loving it.  He is in a full day kindergarten class and is doing extremely well.  He love learning and it has been so fun to see him excel.  When I picked him up on the first day, I asked what his favorite part was.  He replied with a big smile and wide eyes, "Everything!"  I was really concerned about his behavior, but his teacher has said that he is doing well, only needing the occasional reminder.

Well, life is good! Thank you all for the countless prayers for us and our little family.  We will defiantly need them in the coming months!

2 comments:

The Bronson Bunch said...

I pray that you get to keep these sweet sib's too!! It's a roller coaster ride all the way through but is well worth it in the end. Love you guy's!

Bart and Em said...

I think you guys are amazing! Not many people have what it takes to be willing to get a call any day to go pick up children who need all the love they can get. You guys do, and I commend you for it! Good luck with everything. P.s. Ryker is SOOOO cute.